• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

By-Pass Filter system - needing advice

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about one of these by-pass systems I keep hearing about, due to a previous conversation about dirty oil, when it is new. What is the consensus on brand? It sounds like the FS2500 is worth looking at, but others like the Amsoil system.

Does anyone have mounted photos? Is there a kit available, or does a bracket still need to be made to complete the installation? I searched "FS2500", but once the threads got to be from 2012, I stopped looking because I figure there is probably newer information available that wasn't back then.

I can confidently state that a dual filter system is worth the money. Have commented in the past about an experience with the P-400 where it had high metal content in the oil that we discovered around the 500 mile point. Short version of the story is that the filtration kept the contamination from going into the heads and damage was limited to the crank and oil pump.

The system I used was AMSOIL's dual remote filter kit.

Toward photo's, sorry, do not have any.

For the mounting location, the filters were installed under the cab and we had to buy extra hose to make the location work.

To me, brand does not really matter just as long as the filters do their job.

And, a remote filter was one of the first things I did to the Burb when I bought it as trying to change the filter in a K truck is simply way more gnasty than necessary.

I have had the FS2500 on since my 2006 Duramax was new. I like it system. Fairly easy install. It tucks up and out of the way under drivers side and mounts on frame rail. Don't waste the extra money on SS Braided hoses. I had to replace them and got some nice rubber hoses made at hydraulic shop. Only thing is the filters are proprietary. Gotta buy them from them. But I have had some good UOAs and the oil feels great.
The oil still gets dark, but has zero grit. Looks like dark amber syrup or dark honey. Smooth as silk.

I would recommend this.

http://www.paretopoint.com/consumer-filtration-products/topdog-v-overview

I've been running this kit for probably 5 years or so. Haven't had any problems with it. It uses Amsoil by-pass filter. My tune from Heath for the ATT is really dirty at low RPM's so my oil is dark when I change it. Last time I talked to Dennis years ago he said him and KOJO have the tune down pretty well(clean) for the ATT. I need to find another computer to send in so I can swap between stock, Heath, and Kojo. Just to see the difference in the tunes.

I installed one on a cust. 2002 7.3L at about 200K miles on his truck. His oil was pretty black by 3000 miles before I installed the by-pass. He has 255,000 now and the oil looks barely darker than new at 5000 miles. Granted he commutes from Northern Ca to Oregon quite a bit not towing anything. But I couldn't believe how clean his oil was at 5000 miles.

I've not heard of the Top Dog, before I saw this post. It seems that they all appear to be very similar, but this Top Dog unit is less than half the cost. I am assuming it doesn't have all the same components the other kits have, but I could be mistaken. It uses a Donaldson filter, which I see as a plus. They claim 2-6 micron filtration. Is that the goal?

The Amsoil filter claims to have a soot removal device in the filter and also claims 2 micron filtration.

The FS2500 seems to be the leader, though, in that they've got some patented technology. They might be spearheading this whole thing, by the sounds of it.

A note on SS braided hose for hot oil lines; 'all but PTFE (Teflon) lined have a use span directly based on type of lining and operating temperatures.'

Next issue is UV & ozone damage.
If I had to do it over again I would consider an oil centrifuge kit like this one from PPE. No filters to buy. Just scoop out the crap and keep on trucking.

http://www.ppediesel.com/shop/oil-c...6-2007-lbz-and-2007-5-2010-lmm-114010200.html
Centrifuge is fine for systems that have good oil pressure, I've asked one vendor here on this numerous times about his centrifuge setup after having it installed in his truck's 6.5td "I believe my 1st request was in Jan 2018 he has never responded."

Somethings to keep in mind- big difference between absolute micron rating vs nominal. Basically throw nominal ratings out the window.

Nothing can do better than a centrifuge, but the oil pressure effects the micron rating. As pressure falls, so does cleaning.

The same thing is true of nominal rated filters. Also the newer the filter id the worse it cleans. When the filter is half plugged is where most get their ratings. Most nominal rated filters whn new cant clean 1/10th of their rating.

Somethings to keep in mind- big difference between absolute micron rating vs nominal. Basically throw nominal ratings out the window.

Nothing can do better than a centrifuge, but the oil pressure effects the micron rating. As pressure falls, so does cleaning.

The same thing is true of nominal rated filters. Also the newer the filter id the worse it cleans. When the filter is half plugged is where most get their ratings. Most nominal rated filters whn new cant clean 1/10th of their rating.

There is at least on centrifuge that is powered by an onboard electric motor making it very efficient. If I remember right some big rigs use air pressure to drive the oil centrifuge.

http://www.paretopoint.com/consumer-filtration-products/topdog-v-overview

I've been running this kit for probably 5 years or so. Haven't had any problems with it. It uses Amsoil by-pass filter. My tune from Heath for the ATT is really dirty at low RPM's so my oil is dark when I change it. Last time I talked to Dennis years ago he said him and KOJO have the tune down pretty well(clean) for the ATT. I need to find another computer to send in so I can swap between stock, Heath, and Kojo. Just to see the difference in the tunes.

I installed one on a cust. 2002 7.3L at about 200K miles on his truck. His oil was pretty black by 3000 miles before I installed the by-pass. He has 255,000 now and the oil looks barely darker than new at 5000 miles. Granted he commutes from Northern Ca to Oregon quite a bit not towing anything. But I couldn't believe how clean his oil was at 5000 miles.

Got any pics? did it have a vehicle/engine specific mounting, or was it kinda generic?

Got any pics? did it have a vehicle/engine specific mounting, or was it kinda generic?

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. Kind of generic kit. Basically you give them the engine size and they send you a sandwich adapter that matches your filter diameter and thread pitch, some fittings, hose, and bypass filter mount.

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. Kind of generic kit. Basically you give them the engine size and they send you a sandwich adapter that matches your filter diameter and thread pitch, some fittings, hose, and bypass filter mount.
You've been holding out on me. I'll have to swing by and take a look when I see your truck out front.

Back