1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

you guys using weight distributing hitches?

Discussion in 'General Recreation' started by MattZ71, May 19, 2008.

1. MattZ71

MattZ71 Tennessee Diesel's Mod

May 16, 2008
    KY/TN line
    you guys using weight distributing hitches, what link you yall use in the chains?

2. 06HD2500LLY

06HD2500LLY D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

I use a combo type, sway and weight with the bars on each side. If I can remeber right on the type I think your talking about, the third link is the one your after. Dont quote me on that. I used to have one of those awhile back.

3. DMitch

DMitch Recruit

May 7, 2008
    Vermont
    What link you use will depend on how you want to put load on or take load off the tow vehicle. They are what will determine how weight gets distibuted.

4. MGlickLBZ

MGlickLBZ Agent Quack Smacker

May 5, 2008
    South Central, WI
    It was always the third link. If you can, get an Equalizer, they are much easier to deal with.

5. MattZ71

May 16, 2008
    KY/TN line

Equalizer? ive never hard of them, where can i look at one at?

6. alli_gator

alli_gator Recruit

May 9, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Me too, that is where mine tows the best.

7. HDpullingpower

HDpullingpower Hellion

May 4, 2008
    Chestertown MD
    I use the Reese dual friction sway control and WD...mine is on the 5th link..I think.

8. Ozzie

Ozzie Snow looming...run!! Moderator

Feb 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, Minnesota
    Mine has the solid bars and brackets...no chains.
    I can tell you though if you adjust it too hard to try and push that front end down of your truck, it will ride like crap and beat you senseless.
    Let the back of the truck take some weight, your back will thank you for it.

9. copter

copter Toy Hauler

May 4, 2008
    Nor*Cal
    4th or 5th link depending on the amount fuel on the back of the TH (56 gal).

10. Rttoys

Rttoys Recruit

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Much much much better than the chain and friction sway combo. I used that for about one year and then switched to the Equal-i-zer, night and day difference.:sifone: The truck/trailer now pulls as one unit, no sway at all. Only hook up 2 bars and go. No need to remove the sway control when making tight manuvers, either. It's a very nice system.

11. MattZ71

May 16, 2008
    KY/TN line
    thanks brother, ill check it out!

12. Ozzie

Ozzie Snow looming...run!! Moderator

Feb 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, Minnesota
    I use the Equal-i-zer too...that name is actually the name of the product, although that type of hitch is commonly called that because they've been around so long and established a standard. Back in the 60's, it used to be marketed by driving the old front wheel drive Toronado into shows with the rear wheels removed towing a trailer. A pretty effective marketing tool,eh?

Short of spending a couple grand on a Hensley-Arrow, it's about the best you can do.

13. RayMich

RayMich Active Member

May 9, 2008
    Mid Michigan
    Anybody using one of these?

Hensley Arrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many people swear by these, but they sure are expensive.​

They claim that, "It is physically impossible for a travel trailer to sway, fishtail, or jackknife when outfitted with the Hensley Arrow®," and they have some impressive videos showing how it works.

Attached Files:

14. MattZ71

May 16, 2008
    KY/TN line
    How much do them hitches go for?

15. RayMich

RayMich Active Member

May 9, 2008
    Mid Michigan
    Very expensive ($3,115 to $3,165 depending on what size distribution bars you get). They do have a 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee & Lifetime Warranty.

Hensley Arrow Pricing
    http://www.hensleymfg.com/pricing.htm

Occasionally they run specials on them. People who own them claim that it's the best money they have spent.

You can get a lot more information if you click on the links in my post above.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  16. jb23

jb23 Recruit

May 4, 2008
    Illinois
    Ray is that your mini van pulling the camper , nice looking rig. That's a lot hitch for pulling a camper, is it easy to hook up

17. Rttoys

Rttoys Recruit

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Hensley Arrow is in the neighborhood of $3000, worth every penny so I heard..........but that's a hard coin to swallow.

18. RayMich

RayMich Active Member

May 9, 2008
    Mid Michigan
    Sorry, No.

I got that picture from the Hensley website. :)

According to Hensley, the hitch is fairly easy to hook up. And according to postings I read on RVnet, everybody that has one says that they will never again tow without one. Supposedly, it drives like a straight truck. No sway whatsoever. The hitch is set up with a set of linkages that allows it to turn, if the tow vehicle initiates the turns, but if the trailer tries to turn it, it acts like it's locked up and won't let the trailer sway. It's quite ingenious.

If you click on the links I posted above you will go to their website. They have a lot of information about their hitch.

You can order on line their FREE video DVD and learn more about their hitch. It includes a demo video showing how it works. Its' quite an impressive piece of equipment.

They also sell a state-of-the-art brake controller that people claim to be the best.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  19. jb23

jb23 Recruit

May 4, 2008
    Illinois
    That Ray to much for me

20. MattZ71

May 16, 2008
    KY/TN line
    in thinking about getting the Hensley-Arrow and doing away with the chains!