1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering gear

Discussion in 'Steering, Suspension and Wheels' started by snarl95, Nov 19, 2017.

1. snarl95

snarl95 Active Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Edenton,NC
    Mine needs replacement. How hard is it and is there anything special I need to know.

2. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver 6.5 driver

Feb 7, 2009
    alaska
    Pretty simple job. Hardest part is getting the Pittman arm off. 3 bolts to the frame and then the steering shaft

Jaryd and MrMarty51 like this.
  3. snarl95

snarl95 Active Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Edenton,NC
  4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Miles City, Montana
    If the pitman arm is on a tapered shaft, a pitman arm/tie rod puller might make the job easier.

Jaryd likes this.
  5. Husker6.5

Husker6.5 135' diagonal 16:9HD, 25KW sound!

Feb 10, 2011
    Lincoln, NE
    4wd is a PITA, really tight clearance between Pittman arm and front diff. when trying to get the assembly out. Then remove the Pittman arm after the gearbox/arm is on the bench. There is no room to remove the arm before removing the steering gear. How do I know, he asks.

WarWagon and MrMarty51 like this.
  6. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver 6.5 driver

Feb 7, 2009
    alaska
    If you undo the frame bolts you can move it forward enough to get the puller on there

7. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Fullerton, CA
    Now that I've done this job about 5 or 6 times, it's not that hard. Detach the Pitman arm from the steering cross link and leave it on the steering box. Detach steering shaft and remove the 3 large bolts going through the frame. Use a pickle fork to remove the Pitman arm. Consider replacing the rag joint on the steering shaft as it too is a source of steering play or slop.

8. WarWagon

WarWagon Well it hits on 7 of 8...

Nov 15, 2009
    AZ
    @Big T Exactly. After replacing the entire shot front end I find most of the slop was from the rag joint.

MrMarty51 and Will L. like this.
  9. Will L.

Will L. Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Boulder City Nv
    Years of working on semis that all had ujoints in the column I thought “why dont regular rigs have ujoints instead of a rag joint?” Now after years of greasing the ujoints in the Hummer steering column I think “I sure miss a rag joint that I just swap once every 20 years.”

Husker6.5 and MrMarty51 like this.
  10. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Fullerton, CA
    I did not know wtf a rag joint was. Now I do and I need to replace the one on the ‘99.