Shell Rotella T5 any good and bad?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Fuels' started by buddy, Jan 7, 2011.

1. buddy

buddy New Member

Anyone using Shell Rotella T5 or have any reason not to use it?

Synthetic Blend 10W-30

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/t5_detail.html

Amsoil has a similar product too, but this one I can pick up at Wal-Mart pretty cheap, even though its randomly stocked, must not have a lot of users yet.

I have been using regular Mobil 1300 15W-40 and have tried Mobil 1 DT 5W-40 in the past and was planning to start using it exclusively until I saw this 10W-30 option.

Thanks

2. NVW

NVW Active Member

I use it in the 0w40 weight, I like it for cold starts, cranks over a lot easier. I don't think consumption is much different than 15w40.

3. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member

I use it in the lawnmowers as it has excellent resistance to heat, doesn't foam easily, and has the soot additives in it. I know regular CASTROL and such would give me problems in the summer with lifters bleeding down under load when pulling a hard load on the air cooled engines, I can pull right at 100% lkoad with the T5 and it maintains oil pressure with it.

4. buddy

buddy New Member

Thanks, I may just give it a shot then, although I am usually a loyal Mobil user. I wonder if the lower heavy weight will increase efficiency.

5. RI Chevy Silveradoman

RI Chevy Silveradoman At your service Staff Member

I know DNewton from other sites has been using and running a long term test or study on it.

6. Dad's 05 LLY

Dad's 05 LLY Real Trucks Don't have Spark Plugs!

All modern oils are similar. If it meets the specifications for your engine (IIRC it's CJ4) then it will be fine. Now days the difference between brands of oil is very minimal between conventionals.

7. buddy

buddy New Member

The Rotella T5 10W30 synthtic blend does meet CJ4.... I think I will try it this next oil change.

8. BIGR

BIGR Lucky To Be Here

I just noticed the T5 at wally world the other day. I wondered how it would work in our trucks. I have used Rotella 15W-40 Dino since about 10,000 miles. So far so good and my truck uses no oil. I think i saw like a T3 that was maybe a straight 30 weight, heck I can't remember.

One other thing I did notice though was that the gallons of Mobile One Delvac was alot cheaper than Rotella. Also the quarts of Delo 400 were cheaper than the quarts of Rotella 15W-40. Did not see any gallons of Delo 400 on the shelf. I am sure all of those are good oils.

9. RI Chevy Silveradoman

Buddy: What is it that you are looking for by using 10W-30 oil? What do you feel that you are lacking by using whatever oil that your presently using?

10. buddy

buddy New Member

Well I am currently using regular oil, and the T5 is a synthetic blend and lighter weight. I would expect from a lighter weight that it could reduce resistance to flow and may flow better and improve efficiency. Easier startup than 15W40. I always have plenty of oil pressure, more than most people report at idle or operating, so I figure I can stand to lose some pressure if flow improves.

11. RI Chevy Silveradoman

Why not the Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 then? Not really much more money.

12. buddy

buddy New Member

I want the lower heavy weight. I have good startup with 15W when cold, so 10W will be a little better already, but when the oil gets warmer I want the lower 30W vs the 40W, so that it could flow better, since I have more than enough pressure.

13. RI Chevy Silveradoman

14. buddy

buddy New Member

Well if I was anywhere that was actually cold or even really hot I would probably use the full synthetic 5W40, but in central coast CA its not hot or cold.