1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recommended Greases

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Fuels' started by GM Guy, May 13, 2008.

1. GM Guy

GM Guy Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast

May 6, 2008
    NW Kansas and SC Idaho
    What does everyone recommend for wheel bearing grease?

What about gun grease for u-joints?

I have heard bits and pieces about synthetic grease. is it any good? If good, I'd prefer it!

Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. busdriver75

busdriver75 Busier than hell...

May 7, 2008
    NW Ohio
    i don't think our u joints have grease zerks. i just use the same grease as we use in the rest of the farm equipment.

EDIT: i see you have a 6.5. i'm not sure if you gusy have grease zerks on on your u joints. the duramaxes don't have them, although we all wish they did.

3. GM Guy

May 6, 2008
    NW Kansas and SC Idaho
    Actually, I am replacing the u-joints on my 1991 gasser with greaseable ones. Yeah, neither the 91 nor the 95 came w/ them from the factory. :frown5:

Thanks for the reply!

4. btfarm

btfarm 300,000 Worth Staff Member Moderator

May 12, 2008
    Sandwich, Illinois
    All the PTO joints on the farm ever got was regular NGLI 2 same as chassis grease and I doubt if the truck u-joints are any more heavily loaded than some of the PTOs we've seriously abused around the farm...

5. GM Guy

May 6, 2008
    NW Kansas and SC Idaho
    Who makes synthetic Grease? I would think they would be good for wheel bearings.

6. 12ga diesel

12ga diesel Jack of all, Master of none

May 4, 2008
    McHenry,IL
  7. DEERE3594

DEERE3594 I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!

May 5, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I use the 5 dollor a tube Lucas gress in my gun, I dont know if its syn or not..

8. 03demax

03demax New Member

May 7, 2008
    I use Conklin's Parasynthetic grease. It will not mix with water and there is a guy with over 500,000 miles on his suburban front end parts that has used this grease. It is on my site www.tsperformancelubes.com

9. GM Guy

May 6, 2008
    NW Kansas and SC Idaho
    Thanks for all the great replies and links everyone!

10. Arkapigdiesel

Arkapigdiesel Sasnakra Skcabrozar

May 12, 2008
    Springdale, Arkansas
    Schaeffer's aluminum complex greases are the best I've ever used.

11. schiker

schiker Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Pendleton, SC
    Synthetic grease is just the oil portion the thickener or carrier is just as important I think. Not sure what all is compatiable though.

What are ya'll saying is a good grease? water resistance, extreme pressure characteristics, temp range, stickyness/tack, oil drop out?

I like some moly in my chasis grease as its some of the best EP additives. But gm seems to recommend lithium? thickeners.

There is a Timken load test that is suppose to measure the greases ability to stay put under squeeze loading I believe. The higher the number the better ability to stay put and not get squished out.

TRC grease Texas refinery corporation is suppose to be real good but they only sell full cases so its expensive for us diyers.

I usually get Valvoline synpower or Mobile syn. Just becasue it seems to be the best of the choices at the stores I get it. But imagine "Caterpillar", TRC, or some equipment recommendation grease or similar would be better for ball joints, tierods etc. Wheel bearing or ujoint grease I would tend to stay with automotive type like Valvoline / Mobile.

12. GM Guy

May 6, 2008
    NW Kansas and SC Idaho
    yeah, I ended up going with Valvoline Grease that met GM specs from NAPA.

13. schiker

schiker Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Pendleton, SC
    Ok so today was at a different Carquest and they had multiple Valvoline greases:

Crimson™
    Cerulean®
    Palladium®

I bought the Palladium because it said it met Caterpillar recommendations for 3% moly type grease.

They also showed a Valvoline Optimum Choice™ Grease on thier website but have never seen it retail.

I would like to know what same data is for any of these greases and which is the best chasis grease for our trucks.

14. Ed HD

Ed HD Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY

Jul 6, 2008
    Chuck Town, Iowa
    Amsoil Heavy Duty grease is the shit.

/thread :D