1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV3500 major issues

Discussion in 'All Other Transmissions' started by WVBekah, Jun 24, 2016.

1. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    Our rear main seal started leaking around the same time we changed the slave cylinder and the truck would get stuck in 2nd gear after we'd be driving awhile and it got warm,we'd park awhile and then it would be fine again until it got warm. We just replaced the rear main seal and it no longer leaks,also replaced the clutch,pressure plate,fly wheel,slave cylinder and 4wd actuator and we are still having problems,does the same thing as before when it gets warm,you can shift through all of the gears when the truck isn't running but can't when it is and it's not going into neutral,it will run off as though it's in 1st gear. My husbands father just passed away June 2nd and he is at wit's end with trying to get his truck fixed,we're not sure where to turn for advice or what to do. The truck is a 2001 S10 4.3,V6 4x4. Thank you for any advice,could we not be bleeding the clutch enough??

2. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    If you have no nuetral, then you have an internal trans problem. Sounds to me like it got run low on oil at some point, and galled some bushings causing them to drag when it gets hot.

WVBekah likes this.
  3. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    I actually hate to admit this cause it's really dumb,but I think our problem was 2 broken motor mounts that had the transmission in a bind,my husband noticed them awhile ago and once we jacked the motor up and got the transmission out of the bind it shifts perfectly,not sure how it will drive cause we're putting the new mounts on now. I'm sure hoping that we didn't tear anything else up and definitely hope that it is really that easy of a fix. I'll be back in a bit and let you know how it works out. Thank you very much for your advice, I am still worried that you may be right.

jrsavoie likes this.
  4. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    Well we have all of the gears except 2nd after changing the passenger and driver side motor mounts... but while we were on the jacks we had them all,my husband is so upset cause he has worked for days on end and spent money we didn't have,traded his car for the parts (new ones cause the guy works at a parts store).. Advice please??

jrsavoie likes this.
  5. THEFERMANATOR

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    I'm just really not that up on the nv3500. I know theres some issues with some dealing with the internal shift rail. Broken motor mounts should not cause an issue as it is designed so that if the mounts break, it should sit down on the mount housings preventing any damage to anything. Maybe try gmt-400.com or gmfullsize.com and see if anybody there is more familiar with them.

jrsavoie likes this.
  6. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    Awesome thanks for all of your advice and help. When I figure it out and get it 100% fixed I will post the solution so maybe it will help others with the same or similar problem. I have googled and this is the most helpful anyone has been.

Husker6.5 and jrsavoie like this.
  7. THEFERMANATOR

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    I just never did much with the GM version. i did a little with the DODGE NV3500 and JEEP NV3550, but the most problems we had with them was popping out of 1st. They just didnt give much trouble if you kept them full of oil.

Husker6.5 likes this.
  8. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    As far as I know ours has never been ran low on oil,our problems didn't start until the rear main seal leaked and got the clutch wet,at least that's what we thought it was,now that we've fixed and replaced all that we're kind of lost. We had only owned our truck for about a little close to two years before it messed up and it's been parked for about two years other than moving it around and around the yard. Unfortunately my husband does occasionally run vehicles rather hard lol . He just took it for another spin and it shifted fine,but he hasn't driven it more than a mile or so yet cause it's not road legal yet.

9. Will L.

Will L. Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Boulder City Nv
    I remember a small pickup (cant remember what) that broke both motor mounts and trans mount. It would bind the gear shift lever on the floor pan and side load the main shaft as if you were banging it side to side while applying load. It toasted the synchros.

Idk if that could be your issue or not, just shotgunning a possibility.

WVBekah likes this.
  10. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    The other mounts look good ,we have never seen any mounts look like these did,usually the rubber parts wear out but these were flattened and bent.. Not exactly sure how it happened.

11. schiker

schiker Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Pendleton, SC
    What kind of Lube are you using? I think the NV3500 takes a light oil one is synchromesh. The NV4500 takes Castrol Syntorq (synthetic). I know the NV4500 seems to work better on its specific type of lube. I don't think either work well on the older basic manual transmission lubes.

Just one example.....
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/gear-oil.html

When its hot and doesn't want to shift is it while going down the road only or will it stop and shift ok? How about when hot and trouble shifting cut it off and try shifting through gears no power what does it do?

Does it pull a little when it doesn't want to shift like the clutch is not disconnecting? Try this when warm and not shifting well let idle in neutral then push clutch in and try for reverse and see how fast it "spins down". It should be able to not grind in just 1-2 seconds or the clutch is not disengaging enough I would think. If it spins down fine probably not a clutch issue. (assumes NV3500 reverse is not synchronized - the NV4500 is not and that is my test for clutch spin down).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  12. THEFERMANATOR

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    GM speced ATF in there nv3500, DODGE called for syncromesh. Syncromesh is a synthetic 5w30 oil without all the additives that engine oil has. Syncromesh is very similiar to ATF actually as many syncromesh fluids also say for use in transfer cases that called for dex iii.

Husker6.5, jrsavoie and WVBekah like this.
  13. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    We use the synchromesh . When it gets hot when your driving it will just not go into 2nd at all and sometimes it will stick. We can pull over and stop for around 5minutes and it will shift fine,even with the engine off you can't shift it if it is hot. I'm not exactly sure what you mean but the truck will stall out if you try to take off in 2nd when it's stuck. Seems like 2nd is the only gear that having an issue with.. for now. The other gears are fine so we're avoiding 2nd all together. I think we just need to tear the transmission back out,put the new throw out bearing and pilot bearing in,check everything out and make sure it's all lined up right. Is there a way to get into the transmission without taking the transfer case off?

14. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    Our repair manual says to use the synchromesh manual transmission fluid/oil and all of the googling I've been reading says the same thing.

jrsavoie likes this.
  15. THEFERMANATOR

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    Must have changed later on. Had a friend with an s10 from the early 90's, and his came factory with atf in it.

Husker6.5 likes this.
  16. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    I'm not sure when they changed it. Our truck is going into 2nd gear but won't stay when you take off,but you have to shift to 2nd in order to go to 3rd and still no 4wd. Transmissions are a pain in the butt.

17. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    Talked to a mechanic at a garage today about our truck transmission issues and he said that it is the forks? Inside the transmission,he said there are like plastic tabs on the ends of the forks that wear out. Not sure if we are going to try to rebuild it or just try to find another transmission. He told me how to change it but he said that there are 2 plastic bearing inside the transmission that if we let them fall out that they will shatter and then we'll be screwed. Just wanted to post what we have figured out in case it could help someone else that is having a similar problem with the NV3500.

18. THEFERMANATOR

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    Pulling an nv3500 apart is easier said than done, I know that much. It's not an easy task by any means dealing with the internal shift rail.

19. WVBekah

WVBekah New Member

Jun 24, 2016
    West Virginia USA
    Yes he told me how to do it and it sounds like a pain in the butt and very touchy.He said that there are 2plastic bearing inside the transmission that if they happen to fall out they will shatter and we will be up the creek without a paddle. We have so much money in this already and everything else with the truck is fine so just don't want to give up yet lol.

20. Will L.

Will L. Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Boulder City Nv
    I like shifting gears, but i dont like the aggrivation like this that comes along with it.
    I would be very tempted to throw an automatic in there and be done with it.

WVBekah likes this.