1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need winch mounting advice

Discussion in 'General Recreation' started by Acesneights1, May 14, 2008.

1. Acesneights1

Acesneights1 New Member

May 5, 2008
    Northeast CT
    Hey. I made a mounting plate for my Milemarker 12000lb winch that slides into my existing Meyers EZ mount lower frame. Question is I have to mount the roller fairlead. Where should the lower roller be in relation to the cable. Should the cable just touch it if pulled out straight or should the roller be slightly higher than the cable straight out or slightly lower ?

2. DunesRunner08

DunesRunner08 Banned

May 7, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    the fairlead is usually centered on the winch and the wire should feed over the top of the winch, that way you can control how it rolls back up....

3. ujoint

ujoint Recruit

May 7, 2008
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    The center of my fairlead is lined up with the bottom of the winch, since the cable spools up from the bottom. This allows the cable to only have one "kink" point, instead of two if the fairlead is centered on the spool.

4. DunesRunner08

DunesRunner08 Banned

May 7, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    The cable shouldn't spool from the bottom as it gives it more opportunity to tangle up, you have more control on the return when it spoold from the top...every winch mounting system on the market centers the fairlead with the winch and the wore feed from the top.... I mean to each his own but I figure if the winch co designs it to run that way, I'll keep it running that way.... Kind of like toilet paper, it feeds over the top to make it easier....I hate when it feeds from underneath!!!! lol

5. Acesneights1

Acesneights1 New Member

May 5, 2008
    Northeast CT
    Mine spools from the bottom but that's the way I got the winch. Should I change it ? I defintely see your point. So far whenever I pull anything it always goes to one side and bunches up. The only way to reverse it would be to use the power out to pull and the pull to power out right ? Is the power out the same power ?

6. Joey D

Joey D Member

Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think it matters as long as the fairlead is in line with the drum.

7. DunesRunner08

DunesRunner08 Banned

May 7, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have totally unwound and rewound up many winches....and it is the biggest PITA!!!! LOL... I just had to do mine on my Chubby because I went with synthetic rope.... the easiest way is to just take one end and disengage the clutch and start walking..... when you get to the end you should see a set screw holding the wire in place, just flip it around and then the really fun part begins..... have a buddy or two to help with this part to make it perfect (if your meticulous, like me...LOL) have a long wrench or screwdriver to control where the cable goes, have some really good gloves too.... while keeping the cable as tight as you can, start to reel it in having the guy with the screwdriver keeping the cable tight together... go a couple inches at a time until you are done....

8. Joey D

Joey D Member

Nov 25, 2008
    It's better to use the weight of your truck to wrap it. Even on flat ground just set the parking brake a few clicks for tension.