1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

lly wont start with out help

Discussion in '04.5-05 LLY' started by beej1996, Jun 15, 2014.

1. beej1996

beej1996 New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    WY
    Hi all was wondering if anybody had some in site on a problem my truck is having. I have a 2004.5 lly motor, its stock,about 130 k miles ,changed fuel filter to see if it would fix problem but it didn't and the air cleaner is clean . the problem I am having is the engine will crank but won't start with out using starting fluid spray then takes a few seconds for it to get through to air intake and it will start running . also I can sometimes get it to enter limp mode by romping on the throttle while driving up hills or towing a heavy load and getting on throttle to pull hills .

Thanks for the help in advance Brian

2. btfarm

btfarm 300,000 Worth Staff Member Moderator

May 12, 2008
    Sandwich, Illinois
    Worst thing you could possibly do is use starting fluid. Apparently your glows aren't working or the explosion would have destroyed a piston top or two. You'll need to get codes read to see what else is going on

Sent from my SCH-I535

3. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    Injectors or CP3, you need to do a return rate test on it to see. And NEVER use starting fluid with glow plugs enabled. Or like said above, you can kiss your engine goodbye. I wish they would stop selling the stuff myself as it does more harm than good 90% of the time.

4. RI Chevy Silveradoman

RI Chevy Silveradoman At your service Staff Member Moderator

May 3, 2008
    Rhode Island
    First off, welcome to the Forum! :welcome2:

Did the truck start prior to you doing any work on it?

Sounds to me like you may have a fuel prime issue. Is the pump on top of the fuel filter good and hard?