Dually wheels

Discussion in 'GM 6.5 Diesel Engines' started by packratt, Mar 20, 2009.

1. packratt

packratt New Member

Will Ford and Dodge dually wheels of the same vintage cross with ours? May be able to get a good deal on a set of new Ford ones.

2. Burning oil

Burning oil LeroyDiesel.com

Stock Chevy and Dodge might. Ford won't, even with the 8X6.5 wheels. In an after market 8X6.5 wheel you would just have to try them on. In 97 Ford went metric 8 X some metric #.

3. 96 OILBURNER

96 OILBURNER New Member

Tried one for a spare (didn't know better) and it would fit on the lugs, but when it was tightened down it rolled out of round. Short answer: Ford- no (metric pattern), Dodge- not sure.

4. M123KT-450

M123KT-450 New Member

in the old days. . .
    Ford fits dodge ford fits GM.
    Dodge fits Ford dodge fits GM.

Before the other 2 went metric all 8 bolts interchanged. . . only ones that didn't was GM wheels would only fit GM as they had a smaller center whole the other 2 had a larger center hole but all 8 holes lined up and would bolt fine.

If you had a die grinder you could make the GM wheels fit the other 2's axles by expanding the center hole. I have done this a few times in the past i don't recommend it but it can be done. . .

heres another idea for wheels n tires:
    19.5 Conversion:
    http://www.ricksontruck.com/

There prices are a bit high your local truck tire and wheel shop should be much cheaper also i got mine from the local salvage yard for $75 a wheel with good tires on them. . .

Mike

5. buddy

buddy New Member

Make sure you get all the bolt patterns, center hole diameter, offset, etc and compare. Places do make adaptors, but a little pricey, like $250 for a set of adaptors from one bolt pattern to another, and it changes the offset in case you needed more or just wanted a wider wheel base.

6. Bullseye240

Bullseye240 New Member

Ok problem with this:
    Later model wheels if you notice have flange type lugnuts and are hub piloted, meaning the center of the wheel mates up to and centers the wheel to it and the lug nuts simply clamp it to the hub face.

The older style used acorn lugnuts that both centered the wheels and clamped the wheel to the hub. you can't interchange this. The good news is it is real easy to tell the difference simply by looking at them. The hub piloted wheels are completly flat and have a concentric center hole. the older style are thicker because they have to allow for the acorn lugnuts.

Any attempt to make later model wheels fit an older style by the use of a grinder or other non precise means would be a very bad idea indeed and would most likely result in an out of round condition at least and a improplerly and possibly loose wheel.

7. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver Active Member

I believe the terminology for the wheels with the raised ridge around the lug nut is called "coined" or something like that and not a good idea to modify. My Pvan with duals has a seperate ring that fits over the lugs before you put on the nuts. This style uses the center hole to keep everthing centered. The "coined" style does not need this.

8. buddy

buddy New Member

Its hubcentric vs lugcentric, another one of those things have to verify before buying rims.

9. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver Active Member

I got this off another forum called Yesterdays Trucks.

Classic Truck Discussion Board

Coined rims?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Jim.UT on July 13, 2005 at 08:33:22 from (172.194.41.67):

On my '69 Dodge D300 that I recently purchased I have one really bad tire. I found a decent used one (7.50-16) but that's when I discovered that 5 of my rims are split rims. One rim on the front is a recent replacement and is not a split rim. The spare tire is also on a split rim.

I thought I might try to find 5 more non-split rims. In asking around I found that my split rims are "coined" rims, that is, alternating lug holes are either cupped or have a raise ridge around them. I guess they are designed that way so that the rear duals interlock with each other. I've been told that used coined rims are impossible to find because everyone is looking for them. I didn't even know what a coined rim was until yesterday.

So one used rim seller said I need to make sure my hubs are flat and not coined before I go spending money on rims that won't work. Good advice. So I have pulled all the wheels off the left side of the vehicle. Both dual rims are definitely coined but the hub appears to be flat with cupped indentations around each stud. On the front is where the non-split replacement rim is and it seems to work fine on that hub. The front hub is like the rear...cupped rings around each stud but no raised ridges. It appears to me that either a coined or a flat-faced rim will work fine. As for the interlocking of the dual rims, I don't see that as terribly important. The eight studs will keep the rims where they need to be, right?

I'd be curious to know what you "experts" know/think about coined rims and split rims. As it stands now, I've found someone who is willing to mount my $10 used tire on my split rim. That will certainly be cheaper than buying an entire set of non-split rims. Still I'd like to know more on the subject for future reference.

10. packratt

packratt New Member

Will the hub caps from a 2000-2008 work with a '98?

11. DEERE3594

DEERE3594 I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!

Center Caps of simulators?

12. packratt

packratt New Member

13. DEERE3594

Front one will with some trimming, back ones will not IIRC. I talked to someone about that.. Ill try and recall who...

14. packratt

packratt New Member

Don't worry about it. Saw some take offs on e-prey. Price was right so I was checking.

15. DEERE3594

I still cant recall his handle on here, I think his name was Nick and he has a stranded cab silver 6.5 dually he is putting a Cummins in and a red CC Duramax... :mad2:

16. DEERE3594

Z79outlaw was the fella I was thinking about :thumbsup: