Do I have a fuel delivery issue? Lack of power

Discussion in 'GM 6.5 Diesel Engines' started by pacificdrumma, Mar 5, 2014.

1. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma Member

Okay, so here's a story, tell me what you think.

Not long after I bought my truck, it developed a smoking problem. If I was going up a hill, or was under any kind of acceleration, it would smoke. Not just a little wisp, a fairly good amount. It got to the point where I could barely drive the truck because of the smoke. Turns out the soot trap was clogged, and the turbo was junk. Slapped a new TCI GM-4 from Heath on, cut out the trap, and called it a day. This fixed the smoking issue. Obviously, the truck is not a powerhouse, it was stock with the soot trap cut out, but it would move pretty well for what it was. Fast forward about a bit, and the injection pump goes out. Without warning, the truck shut off as I was sitting in a parking lot. I had already relocated the PMD to the bumper with a Grey stanadyne PMD. We did some tests, had power to the lift pump, fuel to the filter, fuel at the T valve, no fuel at the injectors. So it got a reman pump from Pensacola Fuel Injection. Not long after that was done, a pretty reliable guy I know who is a diesel mechanic and knows the 6.5 very well said that Pensacola doesn't necessarily "rebuild" the pump, but instead simply reseals it. The pump with a new PMD, Dtech, ran me $650 with the core. If you buy just the pump, its $450 or $500 in that area. ANYWAYS, since this new pump has gone in, the truck feels a little less peppy, and I think it might a fuel delivery issue. I made a turbomaster, which is set to 10psi. As some have pointed out, the fact that I used a random spring, instead of a tested one like Heath's, could attribute to the lack of power, but I am not sure. I can hold 10psi all day long, and 12 on a hill. One day, I decided to take all spring tension off and see if the truck would smoke. It barely smoked at all, making 3psi max (there was some spring tension). I have seen 6.5's black out the road when they run without boost, so why doesn't mine? I installed a '93 lift pump, Delphi HFP905, in hopes that I would get a little more volume, no dice. The truck puffs a little smoke on startup, and a little on heavy acceleration, but it clears up almost instantly.

Could my "reman" injection pump not be pushing enough fuel? Could my injectors that are in my 60k mile engine (truck has 160k they might be original to the truck) be worn out? What would cause this?

Truck is bone stock in terms of fueling.

2. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver Active Member

need to put a fuel pressure guage on there so it will read fuel pressure right at the IP

3. Will L.

Will L. Well-Known Member

X2. Also measure volume of fuel it puts out.

When you put on the new ip, how did you time it?

4. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma Member

The tech who installed it (familiar with 6.5's) used a Snap On heavy duty scanner. The thing runs very well, no weird noises, no white smoke or anything. I do not know the TDCO though.

5. ak diesel driver

snap on scanners have a history of being off on TDCO

6. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma Member

What is the preferred scanner to use when doing TDCO?

7. Burning oil

Burning oil LeroyDiesel.com

GMTD SCAN TOOL. http://leroydiesel.com/Page_2.html

I'll be able to process this if you order as its via an email. I could be delayed as I get on a plane tomorrow for 24 hour flight.

8. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma Member

Leroy, I dont think that would work, I have a 96 OBDII truck and my computer is a Mac. Any other options?

9. NVW

NVW Active Member

http://carcode.com/

I don't know if this works on Macs, it may say on the website.

Edit: Use Windows 3.1, 95, 98, BOB, ME, 2K, XP, Vista-32 bit, 7-Ultimate, 7-Professional, 386 processor or higher, optimized for low cost mobile laptops and netbook screens. XP laptop

It wouldn't hurt to email and ask if they support Macs now.

10. Burning oil

Burning oil LeroyDiesel.com

Sorry, didint see the obvious.

11. JayTheCPA

JayTheCPA Member

Party at Leroy's!!! :hihi:

12. WarWagon

WarWagon Well it hits on 7 of 8...

Any codes? The TM without a tune will run boost out from what the ECM expects and may defuel or trip a SES light.

"Leroy, I dont think that would work, I have a 96 OBDII truck and my computer is a Mac. Any other options?"

Get a cheap fleabay laptop with Windows Xp/Vista/7 just for your truck. Windows XP although it will be doornail dead (don't connect it to the internet EVER AGAIN) next month due to end of support it will work for just carcode use on your truck.

13. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma Member

No codes. But if I mat it, I will get either to the top of 3rd or the bottom of OD at about 2k rpm and hit limp mode consistently. I am going to my mechanic to check TDCO soon. He uses a Snap-On but we will check it anyway. What should I be at? I know you guys all have different little custom offsets, what should I aim for?

14. ak diesel driver

stock is -.35 to -.75 max you want to run is -1.94 but it is pretty rattly

15. NVW

NVW Active Member

IIRC, Turbine Doc used a Snap-On scanner and -5.00 was like -1.94 on a Tech II. Anyone else recall this? I tried a search but couldn't come up with anything.

16. NVW

NVW Active Member