1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chaning the oil, 08 Honda Rincon

Discussion in 'General Recreation' started by Unit453, May 9, 2008.

1. Unit453

Unit453 Cruises comfortably at 140... Staff Member Administrator

Feb 10, 2008
    Bradenton, FL
    I changed my oil yesterday. 110 miles on it so far. The oil was pretty much black. I only drained out around 3.5 quarts. I bought Amsoil fully synthetic to replace the fluid with so hopefully, it'll break in nicely.

Is it normal for these to burn a bit, especially during break in?

The book calls for 4.5 quarts but 4 and it was full to the brim...

2. Rttoys

Rttoys Recruit

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    It'll burn a little due to the higher revs. If it has a centrifical clutch it'll burn a little more, but it shouldn't be much, maybe a 1/2 quart per oil change.

3. Louisianarebel

Louisianarebel Fits gonna hit the SHan soon

May 5, 2008
    LA
    Woaa i thought you werent supposed to put synthetic in the rincon??? Makes it slip or something

4. WanaDmax

WanaDmax New Member

May 4, 2008
    Pleasanton, CA
    i think, with any motorcycle, atv, etc, you should NEVER USE ANY SYNTHETIC OR NON MFG APPROVED OIL. The clutch runs on the same oil, if you use a different oil than what specified to be used, the clutch will have problems and will eventually fail.

My $.02, you arent using this thing to ride 50,000 Mi a year, so just put normal Honda oil in there...

5. WanaDmax

WanaDmax New Member

May 4, 2008
    Pleasanton, CA
    Oh, also, when you drain the oil out of the crankcase, you need to refill it, then kick it over a few times, or let it run for about 30 seconds, then check the oil again.

I just finished rebuilding my 600 last night, added 2qts, FULL!

Started it (but it has really low compression now....) and it sounded TERRIBLE!

Checked the oil... EMPTY!

6. 01duramax6spd

01duramax6spd Recruit

May 6, 2008
    I have always run full synthetic in all our Hondas.Hyrda-Tex 15w40 just like we run in our D-Max's and tractors.
    I usurally only change oil every 1500-2000mi which translates to 2-3 times a year. I average 5000mi per year and have not had a motor fail yet. Highest mile Honda atv I have is between 30,000-35,000mi. I may have to add a qt or 2 between changes but the way they get used that's not a concern. I should probably change filters every 500-1000mi though.

As far as specific oil to the machine,I have an Arctic Cat as well and the AC oil was crap. Looked like water and cost me 2mpg :incazzato:.

Remember the filter takes a little oil so run it around a bit,then check it.

7. nosliw

nosliw Recruit

May 3, 2008
    they say not to use oil that has friction modifiers (polydenum, teflon, ect) in quads/bikes that have wetclutches, but i always have and never a problem. i run my toys hard too. ymmv, but probably not. i've got a couple bikes and no problems.

8. RYDNHI4X4

RYDNHI4X4 Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog

May 3, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey guys is there a screw that can raise and lower the idle on the same Honda Rincon. My Rincon has a very low idle and can barely stay running, but do remember it only has 3 miles on it.

9. Unit453

Feb 10, 2008
    Bradenton, FL
  10. I agree, they have amazing products. I'd love to tear down my LBZ with 250k on it and see what it looks like on the inside.

11. ripmf666

ripmf666 Registered user

May 10, 2008
    Kansas City Mo
    I would of atleast waited til the warranty was out, they can void it for not running Honda oil.

12. t2ch

t2ch New Member

May 9, 2008
    Charlottesville, Va
    It's probably already out of warrenty. They only have 6 MOS I thought. Unlesss he got extended.

13. Unit453

Feb 10, 2008
    Bradenton, FL
    Yeah, something like that. It wasnt long. I dont foresee any problems with running amsoil...

14. ripmf666

ripmf666 Registered user

May 10, 2008
    Kansas City Mo
    I would see anything wrong with amsoil myself I was just think of the warranty I know Polaris is werd like that lol

15. ripmf666

ripmf666 Registered user

May 10, 2008
    Kansas City Mo
  16. t2ch

t2ch New Member

May 9, 2008
    Charlottesville, Va
    Nick, does your Rincon have compression braking? I'm about to pull the trigger and get a new 4-wheeler. I was thinking of a Rincon but the Honda man said it uses a torque converter and has no engine braking. I need engine braking as the mountains where we hunt are very steep.
    I then thought about the Rancher 420 AT 4X4. It's also less expensive.

17. RYDNHI4X4

RYDNHI4X4 Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog

May 3, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    The only thing I have been able to find is that it has dual hydraulic 180.0mm disc for the front and single hydraulic disc for the rear.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/

18. Unit453

Feb 10, 2008
    Bradenton, FL
    The engine definitely brakes it self...No doubt about it. I dont know the specifics but the second you take your thumb off the throttle, it slows down and downshifts.

19. t2ch

t2ch New Member

May 9, 2008
    Charlottesville, Va
    I have not ridden one yet. I talked to the man on the phone and wanted to ask some one who has one. He said the rincon uses a TC instead of belts.
    Thanks for the reply