1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing to Projectors then HID's

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by pgguru, May 6, 2008.

1. pgguru

pgguru Recruit

I am looking at something like THIS and then install HID lights. I am hoping for a good look and less glare.
    PS I have a 1995 Suburban
    Thanks

2. Yaz

Yaz Big Brother

May 4, 2008
    NH
    I can tell you I went to factory projection beams and was looking into the same thing, adding HID's. With just the Silverstar ultras.. I like the color, pattern much better over stock housings.

I did talk to a guy that did do this (projection & HID's) he said the lighting pattern was not very good and it wasn't worth the money to do it. Then again this was a few years ago and the price has gone down from 300 to under 100 bucks.

I have not done it myself yet because of having a fisher plow, my wiring might not have the power at start up. I would have to run new power relays to them and just haven't had the ambition to do it.

3. Unit453

Unit453 Cruises comfortably at 140... Staff Member Administrator

Feb 10, 2008
    Bradenton, FL
    I've heard nothing but bad things about those aftermarket projection lenses.

4. ZF6 MAN

ZF6 MAN The Unwritten rule

May 3, 2008
    I have HID's in the highs and lows with stock housings and I love them.....

5. saratoga

saratoga Unpaid Help Staff Member Moderator

May 3, 2008
    Lithia, FL
    To the OP- does your 95 burb have compositie headlights or sealed beams? If it has the latter, your choices are much more limited...otherwise it uses a standard 9006/9005 bulb combo which you can use the fleabay HID's with no problem.

All you GMT800 guys- remember that the GMC uses a refracting type housing where the lens focuses the light coming through. They tend to make aftermarket HID's look more like floodlights instead of a focused beam. The Chevy housing is a reflecting type that only uses the front lens as a protector. They tend to be much better retrofit candidates for that reason.

For the Ford crowd- The superduties are the same way. The lens is used to focus the beam and it spreads it out more than anything.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. BigDogYJ

BigDogYJ Recruit

May 8, 2008
    Kommifornia
    I have HID's in the stock housings for the Low's only and Love the light pattern. However, i did notice a few months back in a slight snow fall heading down to so cal, that the HID reflected off the falling snow so bad, that I ended up running parking lights with fogs so I could see the road. I thought about projectors, but was thinking about the Denali Projectors since I have a gmc.
    Just something to think about if you decide to run stock housings. Anyone else notice this? or just me?

7. lovette

lovette Recruit

May 9, 2008
    Denali projectors work fine with HIDs.

8. Unit453

Unit453 Cruises comfortably at 140... Staff Member Administrator

Feb 10, 2008
    Bradenton, FL
    I noticed it too under heavy, heavy snow. We tend to get shit on so in those cases, I have 600 watts of amber PIAA's to use.

9. Andy S

Andy S sure???...cut it!

May 12, 2008
    Holland, MI
    Bad luck with pretty much all aftermarket headlights similar to those....they do look sweet though until you actually turn them and and they are junk...:D

10. BigDogYJ

BigDogYJ Recruit

May 8, 2008
    Kommifornia
    I may have to look into those. Thanks.

11. BigDogYJ

BigDogYJ Recruit

May 8, 2008
    Kommifornia
    I hear ya man. That would probably solve my problem too!

Thanks.

12. 502_Jimmy

502_Jimmy Recruit

May 5, 2008
    Get TYC lenses. They are clear with a lifetime warranty. They will accept a HID retrofit kit better. A buddy of mine has them with HID's. They work great. I have them with regular halogens on my 95.

13. duratothemax

duratothemax Recruit

May 5, 2008
    02+ super duties have reflector housings like the 03+ chevy's. ;)

01 and earlier have refractor housings, like the GMC's.