1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best GPS

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by GMC2500HD, May 7, 2008.

1. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD BONE CRACKER

May 3, 2008
    Houston
    Been looking at the Magellan Maestro 4250.. Seems to be a pretty good unit, anyone with experience with this one or know of one better?

Thanks... Looking to buy something today..

2. saratoga

saratoga Unpaid Help Staff Member Moderator

May 3, 2008
    Lithia, FL
    I travel a lot and use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS which is a portable. It's really rugged and good for my purpose, but if you're looking to use it as a 'car specific' unit where you want to leave it in one vehivle, it may not be the best choice becuse the screen is relatively small.

3. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD BONE CRACKER

May 3, 2008
    Houston
    Ya I looked at the smaller ones but I think the bigger screen in the truck will be better for driving...

4. FLSTFI Dave

FLSTFI Dave A(ACLU)Agent Deep Driller

May 4, 2008
    Ten Mile TN
    I really like the Garmin Nuvi line. My dad has the Nuvi 350. I am looking at the Nuvi 760, it is a wide screen with bluetooth:idea:

5. blksmok

blksmok Don't listen to me.

May 3, 2008
    Mesa, Az
    Exactly the same one I have and I love it. I use it in the truck and the screen size is fine for me. I take it quad riding too and at the end of the day, I just toss it in the sink and wash all the dirt off. I love it. If you get one, get the 60CsX because it has an expandable memory slot behind the batteries for even more map memory.

Great unit though, I would highly recommend it.

6. SfcJones

SfcJones A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER

May 3, 2008
    South Ga.
    I have a Tom Tom One, 149 bucks at Wally World, good unit, easy to use

7. eng158

eng158 Deputy

May 5, 2008
    NY
    i like my garmin Nuvi, cheap and gets the job done most of the time.
    it gets a little screwy every once and a while but all i have to do is turn it off and and on and it is good to go. also i dont use it all that often so when i go to use it after a few months it sometimes takes a while to find a satellite 10 mins tops. over all i like it, wish it gave more distance for warnings but i couldn't beat the price. i will give it,:thumbsup:

8. monel_funkawitz

monel_funkawitz Recruit

May 7, 2008
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 260W and love it.

9. high desert

high desert Sofa King Cool

May 6, 2008
    Verdi, NV
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 650.

I'm very happy with it.

10. michael nelson

michael nelson diesel addict

May 3, 2008
    san diego,ca
    spend the $ and get the garmin 60...change from car to car...and big screen...unless you want dvd size-..like the lexus or toyota

11. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD BONE CRACKER

May 3, 2008
    Houston
    Well after some serious searching and reading tons of reviews I ended up buying the Garmin 760. I wanted the 780 but they did not have it in stock.. Thanks for the replies...

12. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Have Hammer..Will Travel

May 5, 2008
    San Pedro, So Cali

+ 1..no problems..easy to use, for us dumbys..:biggrin5:

13. RYDNHI4X4

RYDNHI4X4 Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog

May 3, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I just got that 4250 on the way from Ca to NY. I liked the product, but the only things I didn't like was if your on the interstate and you plot an "exit Point Of Interest(POI)" then drive off the interstate the POI doesn't work anymore. The key word is (EXIT) POI.

14. FLSTFI Dave

May 4, 2008
    Ten Mile TN
    What do you think of the Nuvi 760? That is the one I am seriously considering.

15. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD BONE CRACKER

May 3, 2008
    Houston
    So far from using it just in town it is awesome.. I will be putting it to the test this weekend as I will be making a 1200 mile trip so I will be able to post results after that...

16. FLSTFI Dave

May 4, 2008
    Ten Mile TN
    Thanks, I look forward to reading your results...

17. BigDogYJ

BigDogYJ Recruit

May 8, 2008
    Kommifornia
    I have a Garmin StreetPilot c330 and have not had any issues in my honda (dd). but in the truck, when mounted on the windshield near the top, it has a hard time getting a strong signal. If its on the dash, it seems to be fine, but I dont have a dash mount yet.

I was trying to figure out an in dash unit. The kenwood in-dash unit uses the Garmin GPS so that looks interesting.
    I have had a lot of good luck with Garmin. I have had 3 different ones throughout the years (eTrex Legend C, Rhino HCX530, StreetPilot 330c) I still own and use all 3.

I have never used a Magellan, so I don't have any experience with them.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  18. GMC2500HD

GMC2500HD BONE CRACKER

May 3, 2008
    Houston
    So far it is working awesome. Re-routes very quickly if I change directions to get me new directions..

19. skiandplay101

skiandplay101 Refugee

May 10, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I just picked up the garmin 60csx and loadded it with all the street maps and all the topo maps for the western and central us and it only filled up 1gb on my 2gb card. Now lets see if I can actually use it.

20. 4wdaaron

4wdaaron Hard Worker

x2.. anything with Nuvi in it seems to be a great product