• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Thread starter #181
Welp, trying to get this project rolling, going to start out doing some of the things I can without tearing the truck down and rendering it unusable just yet. Particularly I don't want to rip the suburban apart till I can have the truck apart and ready, cause once I take things apart I have to store parts and it's a boat anchor to move.

Anyway, during all this, I was researching new tires, measuring offsets, looking into axle combinations between 6 and 8 lug... for the time being I settled on the PY0s and 8-lug. So I decided instead of tripping around the PY0s I would play around with them, did a bunch of measurements etc, and got out the stripper and have a little party.

Got the clearcoat off them and gave them a nice hand polish. Damn I love me some polished aluminum.

Now with the wheels ready to go, I figured new tires were a good idea, so I could pull the old wheels and tires off and craigslist them to re-coup some cash... Was doing my research and low and behold, they were on sale... Stay tuned!

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
here's some info i saved a long time ago:
LT225/75R16=Height 29.2975 W=8.865
LT235/85R16=Height 31.7403 W=9.259
LT265/75R16=Height 31.6615 W=10.441
LT215/85R16=Height 30.4795 W=8.471
7.50R16LT=Height 31.8 W=8.35 *
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Size Height/Width
305/65/16=31.6/12.0
345/65/16=33.7/13.6
245/70/16=29.5/9.6
255/70/16=30.1/10.0
305/70/16=32.8/12.0
225/75/16=29.3/8.9
245/75/16=30.5/9.6

265/75/16=31.6/10.4
285/75/16=32.8/11.2
295/75/16=33.3/11.6
315/75/16=34.5/12.3
215/85/16=30.4/8.5
235/85/16=31.7/9.3

255/85/16=33.1/10.0
265/85/16=33.7/10.4 *
305/85/16=36.4/12.0

Thread starter #183
I went with the same size as it had before, 315/75R16. I WISH there was a tire close to this height that wasn't quite as wide, at least something that was mainstream, not military or made by interco....

--------------

Got all 4 shined up last night.

Then spent some time with the tire spoons scooping these bad boys on the wheels. I decided to get the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro in 315/75R16. Read a decent amount and they seem to have good reviews.

New tires VS old tires. The Mickey Thompson MTZs served me well. I managed to get about 55k miles out of them. I probably would have ran them a second time but I've started growing fond of coopers after running the Discoverer ST Maxx on the dually.

And, yes, they are on the truck. It was 10PM when I finished, so you'll have to wait for daylight picts :lol:

Last edited:

Will L.

Im sorry sir, but going to have to ask you to test them in the mud. Both for how well the rims clean off, and of coarse an unbiased traction opinion. Keep in mind, rooster tail of mud gets the standard 2 points per foot of height.

Thread starter #186
Im sorry sir, but going to have to ask you to test them in the mud. Both for how well the rims clean off, and of coarse an unbiased traction opinion. Keep in mind, rooster tail of mud gets the standard 2 points per foot of height.
I need to try them out, yes. But I also have a hard time getting that perfect polished wheel dirty and that oh so clean amazing rubber stained.

PYOs looking great Dave
Thanks Mike!

Thread starter #187
Alright, now that I'm done being an adult for the day, I managed to snap some picts before the sun went down.

Narrow wheels, tires under the fender, and a slightly different design makes it look much taller. I'm pleased.

Thread starter #191
Looks good. Nice to see real wheels and tires. Getting tired of seeing a rubber band stretched around a two and a half foot rim.
I agree. I like having my vehicles practical.

Dude, that looks awesome. It's funny how I like PY0's on everything except the trucks they came on. LOL.
HAHA pretty much. I think they really look nice on the older bodystyle trucks.

Since Cooper casts the tires for Mickey Thompson I'd say the only difference is tread block design and the Cooper's are plenty aggressive.
I was unaware they cast them, not surprising though.

DieselSlug

Rust.....What rust....
Looks great! I am also a fan of Cooper tires as almost every set have been (Purchased a set of Duratrac knockoffs for the Wifes Jeep and have been pleased too).

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Thread starter #193
I've been super busy as spring & summer hit. It's the time of the year I camp, do home improvements and work on projects.

Prior to tearing into the truck I had two major tasks I needed to complete: I needs more places to put parts, so I built a 10x20 shed from 99% recycled lumber (including the plywood). It's fully powered and now full of truck parts...

The second major task was taking the parts rig apart.

She was dismantled and boxed up.

And then sent away for scrap.

Since the parts storage shed is built and the suburban is parted out, I started ordering parts for the 88...

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Thread starter #194
I've been super busy as spring & summer hit. It's the time of the year I camp, do home improvements and work on projects.

Prior to tearing into the truck I had two major tasks I needed to complete: I needs more places to put parts, so I built a 10x20 shed from 99% recycled lumber (including the plywood). It's fully powered and now full of truck parts...

The second major task was taking the parts rig apart.

She was dismantled and boxed up.

And then sent away for scrap.

Since the parts storage shed is built and the suburban is parted out, I started ordering parts for the 88...

Thread starter #195
It's been awhile!

Been collecting my parts, coming up with my plan.... etc etc. I put off starting anything this winter... it was just too cold in my garage without heat and too wet outside to do much.

Now things are turning around and I started with a bit of motivation.
I robbed the wheels off it... Put on some rollers

The PY0s were too narrow for the 315/75R16. And the only wheel I could have ever ran to keep the offset how I wanted it with 8-lug axles. So, I took them wheels and donated them to the 97 K1500 6.5L Suburban that adorns the driveway.

And parked it back on the sidelines.... waiting

You might be wondering what the plan is, since I ditched the PY0s... well, I'm going back to the truck's 6-lug roots. I picked up a full set of Procomp 069 wheels in 16x8 polished... Took me forever to pick the wheels I wanted... with the offset, size, and hole to diameter ratio I liked. Mounted them up in the garage and used balancing media

Finished product with my stainless caps and socket lugs.

Having these beauties sitting in the garage, and the truck sitting on tiny tires is motivation enough to get this party started. Next step is to find a rear 14SF axle...