1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

68RFE

Discussion in 'All Other Transmissions' started by gmctd, May 4, 2008.

1. gmctd

gmctd Diesels, Anonymous

May 3, 2008
    texas
    In this thread, I will be detailing the installation of the '07.5 Dodge 68RFE 6-speed automatic into my '96 Dodge 12v - the instructions should be compatible with any chassis not using the 6.7 engine - at present, all the pieces are gathered, and each challenge is being addressed as it arises - pics to follow...........

Here's what I saw:
    [​IMG]

Here's what I got - build date on this 5000mi unit is NOV 06 - note the input and output shaft speed sensors, for accurate torque management - that's the dipstick, sans fill tube:
    [​IMG]

Note the 1/2" cooler line ports - that's the pressure sensor connector at the back of the case
    [​IMG]

Input shaft is 1.1"dia across the 26splines, 1.054"dia behind the spline - the large plate covers the dual-output pump and seals the end of the case
    [​IMG]

4wd tailshaft final inspection 335th day of '06 (Nov 06), laser etched - output shaft is same dia and spline as NV4500 and NV5600 @ 1.425"dia - 4wd adaptor flange dia and bolt-pattern fits both NP241 and NP271 transfer cases
    [​IMG]

Here is the very aggressive 13"dia t\c - the four flats drive the input gear in the pump - note the seal on the drive hub, also that it is silicone compound
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also required: larger 'cooler with larger pipes

First problem, e pluribus unum, is the pilot diameter in the 6.7 crankshaft is 2.130" while the 5.9 is 1.810" - this will require machining the 68RFE pilot hub to 1.810" to fit the 5.9 flexplate - the t\c-to-flexplate bolt pattern and bolt circle diameter is identical - I'm using the aftermarket 30% thicker flexplate - Suncoast has indicated they will build t\c's to match, as required

tbc................

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. gmperformance03

gmperformance03 Recruit

May 6, 2008
    Michigan/Indiana
    I'll be following this thread closely...hopefully everything goes pretty smoothly, as I might do this conversion in the near future.

Thanks for starting this thread! Good Luck with everything

3. THEFERMANATOR

THEFERMANATOR FRANKENBURBAN Staff Member Lead Moderator

May 9, 2008
    ZEPHYRHILLS FL
    How many splines is the output shaft? When you get the 47 out can you get us a side by side with the 68? It's nice to see somebody tackling this.

4. KYLE@XDP

KYLE@XDP can help you w/ anything

May 9, 2008
    NJ
    sweet sounds like a cool project.

5. gmctd

gmctd Diesels, Anonymous

May 3, 2008
    texas
    Spline config is same as NV4500, NV5600, NP241DHD - 241D from the 47Rx\47RE just requires the larger input hub from the HD version

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  6. gmctd

gmctd Diesels, Anonymous

May 3, 2008
    texas
    '05 48RE input shaft is 1.040"dia across the 23 splines, base shaft dia is 0.825"

'07.5 68RFE input shaft is 1.100"dia across the 26 splines, base shaft dia is 1.054"

Output shaft is 1.425"dia, same as the NV4500 and NV5600

Doesn't seem as much of a 'joke' as some have stated, right? Only the optional Aisin AS68RE offers more torque thruput, and that is currently offered only in the cab'n'chassis series behind the 6.7

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. 05_CTD_CalebS

05_CTD_CalebS New Member

May 17, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    This looks like a great project and I will be keeping an eye on this..thanks for the info :yesnod::yesnod: