60's model GMC Wheat Truck

Discussion in 'GM 6.5 Diesel Engines' started by tanman_2006, Feb 26, 2011.

1. tanman_2006

tanman_2006 Just a farm kid...

I know this isn't the right section to post this in, please move if necessary.

My gpa has a 60's model wheat truck we are thinking about restoring. It is rusted und ugly but has been the most reliable truck on the farm. He got it NEW as a college graduation present from his dad. He hauled scrap from factories and gov stuff with it from mexico to canada for many years so it has PLENTY of miles on it.

The main problem now is the cam has a few lobes worn flat either from oiling issues or just shear miles. It has a 478 v6 diesel built for only a few years in the 60's.

If anyone knows where we can get parts for this engine I would really appreciate it.

If not he wants a custom 6.5 built by me :D

2. bk95td

bk95td 6.5 nut job/addict

If there was military versions of that engine boyce equipment in utah, may have parts or complete engines. I don't have a link for them right now. I lost it in the computer crash. There also is some other military places in ok. some where.

3. mangus580

mangus580 Member

pretty sure its www.boyceequipment.com cool place, I went there a few years ago when I had to go to SLC for work

4. tanman_2006

THANKS! I didnt even consider it possibly being a gov engine. There is a surplus dealer 5 miles from me that I have been looking fo decent 6.x stuff from.

5. tanman_2006

Upon further research it is called a turro flow 478 and parts are like gold... HMMM I guess we will see if there is a way to get a custom cam or maybe get the lobes built back up... If not we will sell our golden parts and buy a 6.x and build it up.

6. bk95td

I have a manual somewhere that has the gmc toro flow diesel in it . I'll look for it.

7. bk95td

GMC D-478 V6 and DH-478 V6

There was 2 versions of the 478 Toro-flow engine: The D was 150 hp and 275 ft lbs torque
    The DH was 170 hp and 310 ft lbs torque.
    I have a chiltons truck and van manual that covers 1970-1976.:thumbsup: It has over 30 pages on the toro-flow engines. They have 500 lbs of compression at 600 rpm:eek::eek:
    A 6.2 or a 6.5 n/a would be a similar power replacement. IMG_1521_3.JPG IMG_1522_4.JPG IMG_1523_5.JPG IMG_1524_6.JPG IMG_1525_7.JPG

8. 3500GMC

3500GMC Stand Your Ground

Was this diesel V6 a GM/Detroit effort or something else?

9. bk95td

I think it was something separate since it is a GMC engine. The detroits were all 2 strokes back then. I'm not positive on that though.

10. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver Active Member

I knew they made a gasser v6 but didn't know about the diesel

11. turbonator

turbonator Member

the 2 were supposedly the same engines, so the parts could be interchangable...they had crank issues with them, so they were discontinued..... does your grain truck have a front mount engine mount? if so you will need tofab up a nice mount as the 6.x's are not drilled on the front end like gassers..... the mount looks something like this...

Attached Files:

12. 3500GMC

3500GMC Stand Your Ground

The first pic looks like a Cobra layin' in the dirt ready to strike.

That's one helluva mount.

13. GM Guy

GM Guy Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast

To my knowledge, the toro-flow was based on the v-6 gas. of course the big block gmc v-6 was super durable and reliable, but as a diesel it wasnt as legendary, but still decent. this effort was different from any detroit diesel efforts IIRC.

I sure wish you would have posted earlier, as there was one that sold at a recent auction. it was a little low cab forward with a bed and a hoist. I doubt it sold for much.

here is a good resource for gmc big block v-6s and its v-8 and v-12 relatives: http://www.6066gmcguy.org/toroflow.htm I believe MikeKT123T or mikey as we lovingly refer to him as, referenced this site on another forum, iirc. one of the few good pieces of advice he gave out IMHO, but that is for another day...

EDIT:

I did go to eBay and typed in "toro flow" no caps or dashes, just as is, and got 4 pages, but 3 pages are just pictures, only the first page has parts or literature.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  14. WarWagon

WarWagon Well it hits on 7 of 8...

Something about looking for rare hard to find parts from 50 years ago... Is this going to be a show truck? Post up some pics. We all love oddball diesel engines esp ones that have run this long!

I would recommend http://www.boyceequipment.com/ for a test stand run 6.2 engine. I am about to start my 2nd 6.2 from them. They are low mile take out engines as the truck they were in goes to the target range. My 1st one was lucky enough to be a fresh rebuild!

Yes, you can find a 6.2 cheaper. But they are worth the price when they start and run. They will toss in alternators (2x12v) and 24v starters if you ask.

15. turbonator

turbonator Member

do they sell those motors into canada?

16. tanman_2006

I will get some pics next time I am home. It is nothing special to look at. I am hoping if I put the work into it I gets put into my inheritance :) not that I want to lose my grandpa anytime soon but I would love to have that truck.

It will either need a whole new cab and front clip or alot of sheet metal work if it is going to be a show truck. I would like to fix it up and use it for my seed sales business. A lifetime of on farm body repairs has made the fenders nearly worthless. It had factory A/C too!

17. tanman_2006

I found a guy that had a long list of parts on ebay and have emailed him. I hope he has something useful.

18. tanman_2006

I found a cam, cam and crank bearings, rebuilt DH478 IP, and he thinks he knows where to find over sized pistons and rings :sifone:

Now i think we need a turbo or two :eek: I found pictures of a twin turbo conversion that used to be available and it gave me ideas.

19. bk95td

I would think with 500psi compression that you couldn't run a whole lot of boost especially if the bottom end strength is questionable. Chiltons doesn't give the actual compression ratio just the 500psi@600 rpm.

20. ak diesel driver

ak diesel driver Active Member

how in the heck are you supposed to crank it at 600 rpm?