1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4" vs 5" exhaust

Discussion in 'Intakes and Exhausts' started by jcool, May 15, 2008.

1. jcool

jcool #78 A(ACLU) FNG

May 4, 2008
    Richlands, NC
    What are the differences in EGT's, and power between the exhausts.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o HillBilly Pimp

May 10, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Power, none. Egt's, a slight drop. There really isn't much of a benifit aside from the cool factor. I had 5" on 2 trucks and it is badass. If I were to do exhaust on this truck, I wouldn't waste my $$$ on a plain ol 4" kit.............JMO.

3. DunesRunner08

DunesRunner08 Banned

May 7, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    you will lose low end with a 5"...4" is the route to go unless you are pushing over 500hp..

Cooling wise, the 5" will keep your EGT's down lower than the 4" but once again you get back to the 500hp thing....

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  4. BigBlueBurban

BigBlueBurban Umm no...WAIT...yes

May 7, 2008
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Kinda wish I would have gone with the 5" from the start, but 4 will do for now. However much of a hodge-podge it may be

5. 12ga diesel

12ga diesel Jack of all, Master of none

May 4, 2008
    McHenry,IL
    I'm so glad that I ended up going with the 5" system. My "seat of my pants" gauges, I don't feel that I lost a lot, if any low end power. Might have, but I don't feel it. And now with the predator on 85hp, I have very quick thottle response and now I don't feel any lost of TQ. As for the cool factor, OH YEAH! Love the look of the 5" exhaust over the 4".

6. DunesRunner08

DunesRunner08 Banned

May 7, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I run a 4" with a 6" tip and it looks great...when I finally break down and buy a d-max, i'll run the 5" only because I plan on pushing 800hp streetable

7. Clark20ry

Clark20ry Agent #58 OB-DII A(ALCU)

May 5, 2008
    Surprise AZ

Not on the LB7 I love my big 5"..... In fact the spool up is so much better than the straight pipe I had.

Besides Its flipping cool. I will get the 6" tip someday....

8. Cheyenne19

Cheyenne19 Special agent C19 A(ACLU)

May 4, 2008
    The Delta
    You don't lose bottom end, that is a myth. I like my 5" but there is no real advantage. I don't want to hear the 'backpressure' argument to the 5". The turbo itself is plenty of backpressure.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o HillBilly Pimp

May 10, 2008
    NW Indiana
    X2. You could run an open turbo and you wouldn't lose low end power.

10. Clark20ry

Clark20ry Agent #58 OB-DII A(ALCU)

May 5, 2008
    Surprise AZ
    You lose low end pressure? Nobody told me... I will check that out next time I am smoking out the guy next to me.... :)

11. jcool

jcool #78 A(ACLU) FNG

May 4, 2008
    Richlands, NC
    I can see a slight loss in low end power due to the fact that the turbo uses the exhaust flow to spool, so with less backpressure in theory it would take longer to spool and hold it for a shorter time between shifts and let offs. Then again, I am a seat of the pants guy, and there is always a "sweet spot" for everything which may very well be a 5" exhaust being used....

12. got-h2o

got-h2o HillBilly Pimp

May 10, 2008
    NW Indiana
    True, but the turbo outlet is way smaller than any pipe you'll put up next to it, especially front pipe back.

13. busdriver75

busdriver75 Busier than hell...

May 7, 2008
    NW Ohio
    i'm running a 5 inch on my truck. i like it, the only thing is don't get a cheap kit when you get one or it will be a pain in the ass to install. buy a good kit. i had to do some mods to mine to get it to fit right and i'm still not happy. i'll get it positioned right eventually.

i've got a 6 inch tip on mine. i think it looks badass.

14. Cheyenne19

Cheyenne19 Special agent C19 A(ACLU)

May 4, 2008
    The Delta
    Exactly, so the air velocity at the turbo should in no way be affected by the 5" system behind it.

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 Just a speck on the wall

I have a 4 inch stright pipe on my truck now, I think it sounds great, but I stumbled across a deal that I couldn't pass up and traded someone elses factory exuast for a 5 inch for myself. It is sitting on the side of my house, not sure if I should put it on or not.

16. MattZ71

MattZ71 Tennessee Diesel's Mod

May 16, 2008
    KY/TN line
    what about sound differances between the 5" vs. 4" as in 5" & 4" system with a muffler and 5" & 4" without muffler??

17. whitetrash21

whitetrash21 Put on the damn helmet day........

Apr 29, 2008
    Vegas
    i think you should pass on it and send it to me. you dont need that kinda noise on your truck :D:p

18. Philbilly2

LOL Right, it is in the mail wes, I overnighted to you :eek:ut:

19. whitetrash21

whitetrash21 Put on the damn helmet day........

Apr 29, 2008
    Vegas
    bitchin..... i'll be expecting sometime between thurs and....never..... right??? :D

seriously, im goin for a pipe.... one of these days. factory straight is ok..... needs improvement though... :p

20. Philbilly2

right maybe a little closer to the never side than the thursday:smilielol5: